The GST Council in its 32nd Meeting held on 10th Jqan 2019 under the Chairmanship of the Union Minister of Finance & Corporate Affairs, Shri Arun Jaitley in New Delhi gave approval for the following:
- Changes made by CGST (Amendment) Act,2018, IGST (Amendment) Act, 2018, UTGST (Amendment) Act, 2018 and GST (Compensation to States) Amendment Act, 2018 along with amendments in CGST Rules, notifications and Circulars issued earlier and the Corresponding Changes in SGST Acts to be notified w.e.f. 01.02.2019.
- The Last Date for passing the examination for GST Practitioners extended till 31.12.2019 for those GST Practitioners who have enrolled under rule 83(1)(b) i.e. who were sales tax practitioner or tax return preparer under the existing law for a period of not less than five years.
Decisions taken in 32nd GST Cou8ncil Meeting around MSME Relief
The GST Council in its 32nd Meeting took the following major decisions to give relief to MSME (including Small Traders) among others –
1) Higher Exemption Threshold Limit for Supplier of Goods:
Basic exemption limit for suppliers of goods will be increased from Rs 20 lakhs to Rs 40 lakhs. However, this limit remains Rs 20 lakhs for suppliers of services. For the special category States, the limit for registration is currently at Rs 10 lakhs. This limit in case of supply of goods is increased up to Rs 20 lakhs and such States have been given an option to either choose Rs 40 lakhs or Rs 20 lakhs threshold limit in a week’s time. Operational from the 1ST of April, 2019.
2) Composition Scheme for Services:
A Composition Scheme shall be made available for Suppliers of Services (or Mixed Suppliers) with a Tax Rate of 6% (3% CGST +3% SGST) having an Annual Turnover in the preceding Financial Year up to Rs 50 lakhs.
The said Scheme Shall be applicable to both Service Providers as well as Suppliers of Goods and Services, who are not eligible for the presently available Composition Scheme for Goods.
They would be liable to file one Annual Return with Quarterly Payment of Taxes (along with a Simple Declaration). Operational from the 1ST of April, 2019.
3) Increase in Turnover Limit for the existing Composition Scheme:
The limit of Annual Turnover in the preceding Financial Year for availing Composition Scheme for Goods shall be increased to Rs 1.5 crore. Special category States would decide, within one week, about the Composition Limit in their respective States. Operational from the 1ST of April, 2019.
4) Compliance Simplification:
The compliance under Composition Scheme shall be simplified as now they would need to file one Annual Return but Payment of Taxes would remain Quarterly (along with a simple declaration). Operational from 1ST April, 2019.
5) Free Accounting and Billing Software
Free accounting and Billing software to be provided to Small Taxpayers by GSTN.
6.Matters referred to Group of Ministers:
- A seven Member Group of Ministers shall be constituted to examine the proposal of giving a Composition Scheme to Boost the Residential Segment of the Real Estate Sector.
- A Group of Ministers shall be constituted to examine the GST Rate Structure on Lotteries.
7. Revenue Mobilization for Natural Calamities:
GST Council approved Levy of Cess on Intra-State Supply of Goods and Services within the State of Kerala at a rate not exceeding 1% for a period not exceeding 2 years.
To read our coverage on the previous Council Meet decisions, you may refer here:
Other GST Council Meeting
- 43rd GST Council Meeting
- 42nd GST Council Meeting
- 41st GST Council Meeting
- 40th GST Council Meeting
- 39th GST Council Meeting
- 38th GST Council Meeting
- 37th GST Council Meeting
- 36th GST Council Meeting
- 35th GST Council Meeting
- 34th GST Council Meeting
- 33rd GST Council Meeting
IRIS Business is a leading GST Suvidha Provider (GSP) providing easy and efficient solution for GST (IRIS Sapphire) and E-way bill (IRIS Topaz) compliance. To have your GST queries solved and to know more about our solution, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Leave a comment