With an aim to help taxpayers with the New Simplified Return System, a new beta version of the Offline Return Tool has been released on the GSTN portal. The primary objective of releasing the tool on a trial basis is to familiarise stakeholders with the basic functionalities of the offline tool and collect feedbacks to further improve the tool before the main launch of New Simplified Returns.
With the New Return Offline Tool, the taxpayer can
- Prepare ANX-1
- Take Action in ANX-2
- Match ANX-2 with Purchase register.
What are the updates in v 0.3 of New Returns Offline tool?
Based on the feedback received, v0.3 (Released on 25/10/2019) consists of the following updates:
- The New return offline tool is now compatible with Internet Explorer 10+ version.
- The HSN code validation has been enabled in the excel file.
- On opening the error json file of ANX-1, the error summary can be viewed.
- Multiple chunks of ANX-2 can now be generated from the portal if the file size exceeds 5 MB so that it can be imported into offline tool conveniently.
- Now the error json file of ANX-2 generated from GST Portal can be opened in the offline tool.
- Import of purchase register into the tool for matching with ANX-2 downloaded from the portal has been fine-tuned.
- Notification regarding the latest version of the tool is made available, in case older version is being used.
How to download the New Return Offline Tool (Beta) v 0.3
- Go to GSTN Portal
- From the Download Tab, select Offline Tool > New Return Offline tool
- On the New Return Offline Tool page, Click on Download.
- A Zip file will be downloaded to your system.
How to Install New Return Offline Tool (Beta) v0.3
To use the tool efficiently, ensure that you have the following installed on your system:
- Operating system Windows 7 or above. The tool does not work on Linux and Mac.
- Browser: You need one of these browsers installed on your system.
- Internet Explorer 10+
- Google Chrome 7+
- Firefox 45+
- Microsoft Excel 2007 & above
- Alternatively, for any below version, the tool will open in a default browser.
- Before installation of Offline tool, ensure that you have 200 MB of free disk space in your local machine
In order to initiate the installation procedure, the user will have to extract the zip file (onto any folder of their preference). The Zip File contains the follows:
- 3 (Application)
- ANX-1 Excel Template
- ANX-1 section-wise CSV files
- Purchase Register Excel Template
- User Manual
- Change History
After Downloading and extracting the NewReturns_Offline_Tool.zip from GST Portal run(double click) the .exe file named – GSTNewReturnsOffline_beta_v0.3.exe
- Click Next to Continue the setup installation.
- Check the “Create Desktop Icon” Checkbox and click “Next”.
- Click the “Install” button to start the installation.
- Keep both checkboxes checked and click on “Finish” to finish the installation.
P.S: Before extracting the download file, make sure the downloaded file is not corrupt
How do I know if the downloaded Zip file is not corrupt?
In order to check whether the downloaded file is not corrupt, match one of the values provided in your downloaded file with the ones mentioned below. If there is an exact match, then your file is not corrupted. However, if the values do not match, try downloading the file once again.
Where do I find the values?
Windows : (Run from windows power shell)
Get-FileHash <<FileUrl>> -Algorithm <<SHA256>>
Eg: Get-FileHash C:\Users\Test\Downloads\NewReturns_Offline_Tool.zip -Algorithm SHA256
Your unique values:SHA256:
How to Use the New Return Offline Tool
Preparing GST Anx 1
The user can upload their GST data onto the offline tools for the pre, via the below-given modes:
- Importing the entire excel workbook to the tool where data in all sections (worksheets) of the excel file will be imported in the tool in one go.
- Import the Json file generated from the portal
- Add a document in each section one by one
- Copy from the excel worksheets from the top row including the summary and header and paste it in the designated box in the import screen of the java offline tool. Precaution: All the columns including headers should be in the same format and have the same header as of the java offline tool.
- Section by section of a particular return – using a .CSV file as per the format given along with the java tool. Many accounting software packages generate .CSV file in the specified format and the same can be imported in the tool.
Important Note: Size of the generated JSON file should not be greater than 5 MB. The maximum number of items which can be uploaded one time is 19,000.
Taking action on the auto-populated details in GST Anx 2
- Enter GSTIN, Financial Year and Tax Period
- Download Form GST ANX-2 JSON from GST Portal after logging in
- Open Downloaded GST ANX-2 JSON in Offline Tool
- Take action on auto-populated details
- Generate JSON File and upload it on GST Portal
Earlier in the month of May, the GSTN had released the first prototype for Simplified GST Returns
Prototype for the Simplified GST Return Forms
In order to simplify the taxation system in India, the 27th and 28th GST council proposed and laid rules for the implementation of new simplified forms for the taxpayers in the country. These simplified forms were expected to be introduced in the GSTN portal from April 1, 2019, on a pilot basis. However, in the absence of proper bifurcation and underdeveloped software/forms, the same had to be deferred until an unannounced date.
Dated May 24, 2019, the GSTN portal finally released a web-based prototype of the offline tool for the new simplified forms. The mock prototype of the simplified form has been introduced to provide the stakeholders with the look and feel of the new forms, to get their review on the same before it goes live for all the registered taxpayers.
Some of the functionalities of the offline tools include
- Drop Down Menu,
- Invoice upload,
- Upload of purchase register for matching with the system created inward supplies, etc.
The Simplified GST forms are bifurcated in 3 parts
- FORM GST RET-1 (Normal Return): declaration of all types of outward supplies, inward supplies and take credit on missing invoices.
- Monthly Normal
- Quarterly Normal
- FORM GST RET-2 (Sahaj Return): A quarterly declaration of outward supply under B2C category and inward supplies attracting reverse charge only.
- FORM GST RET-3 (Sugam Return): A quarterly declaration of outward supply under B2C and B2B category and inward supplies attracting reverse charge only.
These forms will further be divided in 2 parts,
- GST ANX-1 (Annexure of supplies): Details of outward supplies to be filed by the taxpayer.
- GST ANX-2 (Annexure of Inward Supplies): Details of inward supplies auto-populated mainly from the suppliers’ GST ANX-1.
- The prototype is a screen only layout of the Offline Tool. It has been implemented to help stakeholders familiarize with the new tool and review the same.
- The screen is a demo version of the actual online tool, while the actual tool is under further reviewing phase to eliminate bugs and errors, if any.
- The prototype being just a demo tool cannot make the arithmetic calculation and thus will not be able to show accurate results/summary to the data entered by the user.
IRIS Sapphire is a GST Compliance Solution from the house of IRIS GST. IRIS Sapphire offers you features such as Smart and Advanced reconciliation for your annual returns, Insights and reports to help you with your business management and a team of experienced customer support to help you at every hurdle of your compliance journey.
For any queries or to book your free demo with IRIS Sapphire, connect with us at email@example.com.