Goods and service tax, the little bud sowed into the Indian Taxation System, today has changed the compliance game in India. Prior to the GST regime, businesses were given Tax identification number (TIN) or Service Tax Registration number, along with numerous other compliance procedures to follow. The businessperson was not only required to maintain and manage their own business but also had to keep up with numerous taxation compliances applicable. Thus, in order to save these taxpayers from such hassles, GST was introduced, and it all started with the GSTIN
What is GSTIN?
GSTIN full form is Good and Service Tax Identification Number, which is a 15 digit, unique registration number given to every taxpayer registered under GST.
There are 2 ways to know your GSTIN (to get GST registration)
- Through GST Portal
- Via GST Seva Kendra authorized by the Government.
P.S GSTIN is often confused with GSTN. GSTIN is the unique registration code given to a dealer/supplier by the GSTN (GST Network) which is the official GST portal.
Every taxpayer under GST is provided with a State + PAN-based 15-digit Goods and Services Taxpayer Identification Number (GSTIN). It is a GST Identification Number or a GST Number.
Breakdown of GSTIN
The general structure of GSTIN be broken down into 3 parts, as given below
00 PANNUMBERS 1Z0
- State code: The first two digits of the GSTIN consist of the state code (assigned to every state as per Indian Census 2011).
P.S The state code of every state has been given below for your reference
- Taxpayer’s Pan: The second part of the GSTIN consist of 10 digits of the taxpayer’s PAN number.
- Registration based: the remaining 3 numbers are provided by the GSTN as follows:
- The 13th digit is assigned on the number of registration within the state
- The 14th digit is Z by default
- The 15th digit is a check code. It can be an alphabet or a number.
To register under GST, you are required to present the following documents
- Valid PAN Card
- Aadhar Card
- Bank Account Details
- Photograph of the owner
- Address proof of principal place of business
For in detailed information, you can also read our article, “Exhaustive List of Documents Required for GST Registration”
Registration fees for GST
GST Registration is free of cost, thus a taxpayer is not required to pay anything to get his GSTIN.
The Goods and Service Tax Identification Number (GSTIN) is one of the most crucial aspects for any business. The GSTIN holds details regarding your business transactions and compliance history. GSTIN Verification can also be used to determine the credibility and reliability of your business.
To check GSTIN, the compliance history and score of your counterparties and dealers, you can download the IRIS Peridot app from Playstore and Appstore on your Android and Apple phones respectively. IRIS Peridot is a free compliance tracking solution (Mobile Application) developed by IRIS GST, a leading GST Suvidha Provider in India. The Peridot app offers its user with a quick overview of the given GSTIN’s tax filing status and crucial business details. With IRIS Peridot, checking GST Evasion is at common man’s fingertips, quite literally!
For any queries in regards to GST, feel free to write to us at email@example.com.
IRIS GST Software is India’s leading GST software to reconcile data faster and ensure 100% compliance!
- Bulk Data upload facility – It helps to upload data for multiple GSTINs in one go
- 2P Summary – Provides a summary of uploaded data. You can quickly check your uploaded data with the count of invoices getting considered for reconciliation
- Bulk download of GSTR 2A and GSTR 2B– For multiple periods, you can send ’Get GSTR 2A/ 2B data’ request in one go
- Smart reconciliation – It on your data and provides the recon results with summary
- Advanced reconciliation – It helps to extend the scope of comparison between data that is in the supplier-only and purchaser-only category. Some rules that help in better reconciliation are:
- Checking invoices across the financial years
- Fuzzy invoice no. logic
- Checking exact values ignoring invoice number
- Checking invoices within the tolerance provided by you
- Monthly reconciliation results with monthly GSTR 2A and 2B report – Helps to decide monthly ITC and how much you can claim
- Net vendor summary – It gives you a glance reconciliation status for each vendor
- PAN level reports and GSTIN level reports – It helps to analyze in detail of your purchaser-only and supplier-only invoices Send Mail – By using this feature you can easily communicate discrepancies to your vendor
IRIS GST, a business line of IRIS Business Services Ltd. is one of the few authorized GSPs chosen in the first round of selection by GSTN in 2017. Now, IRIS is also a government-authorized IRP for e-invoicing. We recently received the “Best Tax Technology Service Provider” Jury Award at the prestigious TIOL Awards 2022.